13 January 2017
QUARTER 1: CIRCULAR 1
Hoȅrskool Bergvlam would like to welcome back every Bergvlam family! We do hope this year will be a blessed and joyful year for you. Our Hoȅrskool Bergvlam family includes: educators, learners as well as parents. Definitely a phenomenal
Please take note of the following important matters:
- 1. NEW APPOINTMENTS AND LEARNERS
- It is a great privilege to welcome the following staff members in our midst. We believe that they will be able to fulfil their dreams at Hoȅrskool Bergvlam:
Ms Esmari van den Berg Mathematics Gr 9
Mr Quinten Taljard Mathematical Literacy Gr 11
&Technical Maths Gr 10
Ms Nozipho Lusenga Mathematics, Natural Science
Creative Arts Gr 8 & Gr 9
Mr Joubert Jankowitz Afrikaans Huistaal Gr 11 and
English FAL Gr 8
Mrs Lianie Cronje Afrikaans Huistaal Gr 8 & 10
Afrikaans FAL Gr 9
Mrs Melaine Pienaar Life Orientation Gr 8, 10, 11 & 12
Mrs Debbie Larsen Financial officer
- A hearty welcome to all our Grade 8 learners and their parents. We believe that over the next 5 years we will bond and support one another. Please become involved in the school activities and support your child in everything he / she takes part in.
- Another word of welcome to our other new parents and learners in the other grades. Please encourage your child to become involved in the extra mural activities in order for him to become part of the school’s heart beat as soon as possible.
- 2. GR 12 2016 RESULTS
- Hoȅrskool Bergvlam is very proud of the matric group of 2016 because of their excellent results. With a 99,5% pass rate we are still one of the top schools in the province!
- One of our matric learners, Michelle Kasa, is one of the top achievers in Mpumalanga. She receives a full bursary from the Mpumalanga Government!
- A total of 129 distinctions were achieved, and 51% of our learners passed with a bachelors.
- 3. WORK ETHIC AND SUPPORT
- A learner with a strong sense of responsibility and high work ethic levels will definitely make a success of his / her future. At this stage, however, your child needs your support and encouragement in this regard.
- The not handing in of assignments and tasks is not even negotiable! ALL assignments and tasks HAVE TO BE HANDED in on the SCHEDULED DATES. Please assist your child with effective time management.
- Please do not keep your child at home unnecessarily. Your child misses out on a FULL day’s class work, which is not that easy to catch up on. Although you inform the school telephonically that your child is sick, your child still has to hand in an absentee letter from you on the day he / she returns to school.
- 4. DATE CHANGES
The Ehlanzeni District Achievers Awards Function will be held at our school on Tuesday, 17 January at 12:00. The following will be affected by this arrangement:
- On Tuesday, 17 January the school will close at 11:00 in order for us to facilitate this function. Parents will only be able to make use of the sports gate to fetch learners. Should you not be able to collect your child at that time of day, he / she is welcome to stay at school until you will be able to come and fetch him / her. We will provide a place for them to stay. You will also have to make use of the sports gate should the latter be the case.
- The Interhouse Athletics meeting will now take place on Friday, 20 January from 07:40 to 13:00. Your child will either be an athlete, a spectator, or a helper as this is a compulsory school day. Please do not allow your child to manipulate you in allowing him / her to stay at home!
- The parents evening for Grade 10, 11 and 12 parents will now take place on Wednesday, 18 January at 18:00 in the school hall. Please make the necessary arrangements to attend this evening.
- 5. GIRLS SENIOR WEAR AND ATHLETICS WEAR
- The new senior wear for Grade 11 and 12 girls will be phased in. Should your child already have senior wear, she can wear it until it does not fit her anymore.
- The new shirt is already available at Rieba. The new skirt will be available as soon as the suppliers receive it from the factory. In the meantime they can still wear the current skirt as long as the length of the skirt is correct.
- Girls can combine the new shirt and old skirt for this year only.
- Please keep in mind that a cheaper court shoe is available at Shoe City. Please do not buy an uncomfortable fashion shoe, it is NOT the prescribed shoe!
- The new athletics wear is available, and can be bought at Rieba and Dino Sport from Monday onwards. Athletes must please buy the new athletics wear as soon as possible.
- 6. MOUNTAIN BIKE CLUB
- Seeing that so many of our learners are already taking part in mountain bike races and love mountain biking, the school has decided to start a mountain bike club at school.
- The Hoȅrskool Bergvlam mountain biking gear has already been approved, and will be available soon.
- There will be a number of mountain bike races our learners will be able to take part in.
- 7. LENGTHENED SCHOOL HOURS
- The lengthened school hours for Grade 10, 11 and 12 learners are compulsory. These are not extra classes at all. The curriculum is just too packed in order to complete the syllabus without extra time added. Attendance cannot be negotiated.
- Grade 12 Mathematics Monday – Afrikaans
- Tuesday – English
- Grade 12 Physical Science Monday – English
- Tuesday – Afrikaans
- Grade 10 – 12 Accounting As arranged by Mrs Bierman
- Visual Arts and Design As arranged by Mrs Swart
- Grade 12 Geography Mondays 14:00 – 16:00
- 8. SPORTS PERIODS
- Please take note that our sports periods will move to the end of the day.
- Athletes can therefore continue with their practice straight after school.
- The spirit team’s practice will end at 14:00.
- 9. SCHOOL AND CONSUMER FEES
- Thank you very much to all the parents who have already paid the school fees for the whole year / whole term. It really benefits the school, especially at the beginning of the new school year!
- You can pay as follows:
- Once off before 1 March 2017 (R1 500 less) R16 500
- Monthly: cash / cheque / internet
January to October 2017 R 1 800
- Monthly: cash / cheque / internet
January to December R 1 500
- Should you experience financial difficulties at this stage please contact the finance office without fail and complete the necessary documentation immediately. The sooner you make these arrangements, the better.
- Consumer fees and workbook fees must please be paid by the end of January. Should you not be able to do so, you must please make an arrangement in writing with the subject teach er.
- Subjects with a practical component requires that the fees must be paid beforehand in order for the learner to be able to start with the practical sessions.
10. SIGNING OUT REQUESTS
- Should it be inevitable for you to come and fetch your child during the course of the school day, you have to send the request in writing with your child to school.
- This request must be handed in at Reception before school / during register period. Your child will then receive a note to be handed to the subject teacher when he / she may leave the classroom. You will then be able to fetch your child at Reception without the school interrupting the lesson.
- Should you not send a note to school and just turn up to collect your child, you will have to wait until the end of the lesson before your child will be called down to Reception.
- NOBODY may sign your child out without your permission. Should you not be able to come and fetch your child, you will have to inform Reception personally of whom exactly will fetch your child.
11. SECOND HAND SCHOOL UNIFORM SHOP
- The school is still in desperate need of a parent who will be able to manage the second hand shop at the school.
- You need not stay at school for the whole day. You will only have to be there when you open the shop, this can be negotiated. It is, however, important that we open the shop on a daily basis.
- Should you feel that you are the perfect person to assist us, please contact Mrs Kleynhans without fail.
12. GRADE 8 TEAM BUILDING
- The Grade 8 team building session is normally a day with lots of fun.
- Should it be raining tomorrow, the team building will still continue.
- Please remember to wear old clothes, and bring enough sun block with.
13. WINDSCREEN STICKERS
- The 2017 wind screen stickers are on sale at the main gate at security and at the finance office at R20,00
- Should your car have a sticker, you need not sign in every time you come to the school.
14. WEB, D6 COMMUNICATOR, CELL PHONE APP
- All the information you need, is available on the school web site.
- Register on D6 Communicator in order to receive important notices on a daily basis.
- Make use of the school’s app on ‘play store’ to be informed of what is happening at school.
- Follow us on Face Book and Twitter.
15. INNIBOS VOTING PROCESS
- Hoȅr skool Bergvlam is synonymous with Innibos. Innibos is once again nominated as one of the best arts festivals in the country.
- Let us support them by voting for them on http://kyknetfiestas.co.za/