19 January 2018
QUARTER 1: CIRCULAR 1
Hoȅrskool Bergvlam would like to welcome every new family as well as our existing parents! We do hope 2018 will be a successful and blessed year for you
Please take note of the following important matters:
- NEW APPOINTMENTS AND LEARNERS
- It is a great privilege to welcome the following staff members in our midst:
Mr Pieter Pretorius – Afrikaans Home Language and First Additional Language
Ms Simoné van Graan – Afrikaans Home Language and First Additional Language
Mrs Vanessa Esterhuizen – Accounting
Ms Hetta Henning – EMS, Business Studies
Mrs Louise Maree – Business Studies, Tourism
Mrs Annemi Jordaan – Natural Science and Life Science
Ms Lindi Roux – Natural Science, Mathematics and Technical Mathmatics
Ms Carmi Rademeyer – Social Studies
- Ms Esmari van den Berg got married during the holiday. She is now Mrs Grobler. Hoȅrskool Bergvlam believes that this marriage will be blessed.
- A hearty welcome to all our Grade 8 learners and their parents. We believe that over the next 5 years we will bond and support one another. Please become involved in the school activities and support your child in everything he / she takes part in.
- Another word of welcome to our other new parents and learners in the other grades. Please encourage your child to become involved in the extra mural activities in order for him / her to become part of the school’s heart beat as soon as possible.
- GR 12 2017 RESULTS
- The matric group of 2017 once again held the Hoȅrskool Bergvlam’s name high. With our 99% pass rate we are once again one of the top schools in Mpumalanga!
- Sally Etsebeth, one of our matric learners, was announced best achiever in Mathematical Literacy in Mpumalanga. She was acknowledged for this outstanding achievement at the Mpumalanga Education Department’s awards ceremony.
- A total of 112 distinctions were achieved, and 50% of our learners passed with a bachelors.
- LENGTHENED SCHOOL HOURS
- The lengthened school hours for Grade 10, 11 and 12 learners are compulsory. These are not extra classes at all. The curriculum is just too packed in order to complete the syllabus without allocating extra time. Attendance cannot be negotiated.
- Grade 12 Mathematics Monday – Afrikaans
Tuesday – English
Grade 12 Physical Science Monday – English
Tuesday – Afrikaans
Grade 10 – 12 Accounting As arranged by Mrs Esterhuizen
Visual Arts and Design As arranged by Mrs Alma Swart
Geography Mondays 14:00 – 16:00
- SCHOOL AND CONSUMER FEES
- Thank you very much to all the parents who have already paid the school fees for the whole year / whole term. It really benefits the school, especially at the beginning of the new school year!
- You can pay as follows:
- Once off before 1 March 2018 (R1 500 less) R18 000
- Monthly: cash / cheque / internet / debit order January to October 2018 R 1 950
- Monthly: cash / cheque / internet / debit order
January to December 2018 R 1 625
- Should you experience financial difficulties at this stage please contact the finance office without fail and complete the necessary documentation immediately. The sooner you make these arrangements, the better.
- Consumer fees and workbook fees must please be paid by the end of January. Should you not be able to do so, you must please make an arrangement in writing with the subject teacher.
- Subjects with a practical component require that the fees must be paid beforehand in order for the learner to be able to start with the practical sessions.
- SIGNING OUT REQUESTS
- Should it be inevitable for you to come and fetch your child during the course of the school day, you have to send the request with your child to school in writing.
- This request must be handed in at Reception before school / during register period. Your child will then receive a note to be handed to the subject teacher when he / she may leave the classroom. You will then be able to fetch your child at Reception without the school interrupting the lesson.
- Should you not send a note to school and just turn up to collect your child, you will have to wait until the end of the lesson before your child will be called down to Reception.
- NOBODY may sign your child out without your permission. Should you not be able to come and fetch your child, you will have to inform Reception personally regarding who the person is, that will be fetching your child.
- SECOND HAND SCHOOL UNIFORM SHOP
- Mrs Grietjie Prinsloo is in charge of the second hand clothing shop at the school.
- She is available from Monday to Friday during school hours should you want to make use of this facility.
- School uniform in good condition is available at a very reasonable price.
- Should you experience financial difficulties, alternative arrangements can be made.
- GRADE 8 TEAM BUILDING
- The Grade 8 team building session is normally a day with lots of fun.
- Please remember to wear old clothes, and bring enough sun block with.
- Grade 8 learners will be allowed to buy something at MacVlammie at specific times. Learners can therefore bring some pocket money with.
- PARENTS EVENINGS
- Just a friendly reminder:
Grade 8 and 9 parents evening: Monday, 22 January 2018 at 18:00
Grade 10 – 12 parents evening: Tuesday, 23 January 2018 at 18:00
- WINDSCREEN STICKERS
- The 2018 wind screen stickers are on sale at the main gate from security and at the finance office at R20,00 each.
- You will not have to sign in every time you come to the school once your sticker is displayed on the car’s windscreen.
- LUNCH PACKS AND EMERGENCY STOCK
- The school provides lunch packs to our needy learners on a daily basis.
- Currently the parents, who could assist in the past, are not able to do so anymore.
- Should there be some of our mothers who are prepared to make a couple of extra lunch packs daily, it will be much appreciated. Please contact Mrs Jolanda Nel at school should you be able to assist.
- From time to time we also provide food parcels to needy families. It will also be much appreciated should you be able to send non-perishable food to school. Your child can take it to Mrs Jolanda Nel’s office.
- PRAYER GROUP
- To pray for the school on a regular basis, is of the utmost importance.
- For quite a number of years a group of mothers came together once a week in order to pray for the school.
- The school would like to call on our mothers to become part of this valuable group. Fathers are also most welcome.
- Meeting time will be once a week from 07:00 – 07:30.
- Should you feel the need to become part of the prayer group, please send an e-mail to Mrs. Jolanda Nel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WEB, D6 COMMUNICATOR, CELL PHONE APP
- All the information you need, is available on the school’s web site.
- Register on D6 Communicator in order to receive important notices on a daily basis.
- Make use of the school’s app on ‘play store’ to be informed of what is happening at school.
- Follow us on Face Book and Twitter.