06 June 2014
QUARTER 2: CIRCULAR 3
The half year exam is knocking at the door and afterwards a nice, long winter holiday is lying ahead! But before parents and learners can relax after a whirlwind quarter, there are a number of important matters to bring to your attention:
- WE SAY GOODBYE
Hoȅrskool Bergvlam finds it difficult to say goodbye to Mrs. Liézel Haasbroek, her leaving the school is definitely a great loss. Mrs. Haasbroek has been loved by her learners and has brought a different viewpoint to subjects such as EMS, Business Studies and Tourism. She also showed us her metal with the coaching of the Interhigh spirit team, has done her bit on the hockey field and has played a vital role in presenting the annual prestigious Mr and Miss Bergvlam event.
Mrs. Haasbroek’s enthusiasm and outstanding contribution are much appreciated. She was a true role model to the learners.
Mrs. Haasbroek has been appointed as public relations officer at Hoȅrskool Nelspruit from next term onwards. Our best wishes accompany her in this new direction her career path has taken.
- TIMETABLE CHANGES
Because of all the promotions and new appointments, the school had to make certain changes to the timetable from next quarter onwards. Learners, who will be affected, will receive their new timetables on the first day of the next quarter.
It is with pride that Hoȅrskool Bergvlam introduces its new website to you. Please go and have a look on www.bergvlam.co.za in order to view our modern, updated website with a number of new, innovative ideas.
Thank you to Mrs. Joan van Tonder and especially Mrs. Louise Fullard who have spent many hours, days and weeks to complete, with the assistance of BeVisible, this mammoth task.
Attached please find a web prospectus which will give you all the necessary web information. Please make use of the school’s QR barcode should you have an Anroid slim phone or tablet.
- STUDY GROUPS
Although the school has announced information on the different study groups a couple of times, it still seems as if a number of learners are still not aware of its existence. Unfortunately these study groups cannot continue during exam time as the academic achievers have to concentrate on their own studies. The study group programme will be made available in the first circular of next quarter.
- SUPPORTERS’ SHIRTS
The learners have requested that the school investigates the possibility of a supporter’s shirt. The clothes committee looked at different cuts. They finally decided on a golf shirt which will also be available for parents. These shirts will soon be available at our providers (Rieba Clothing and Dino Sport) at R150 per shirt.
PLEASE TAKE NOTE: this shirt does NOT replace the Vlammie shirt! It is only a supporter’s shirt, specific arrangements will be made with the learners on exactly when these shirts can and may be worn.
- EXAMINATION ARRANGEMENTS
- We, once again, would like to point out to you that NO special requests can be granted during exam time.
- Exam papers cannot be written before OR after the scheduled dates and times.
- Should your child be too sick to write his / her exam, a doctor’s note will have to be handed in to the office. Please inform the school early in the morning in order for us to convey the message to the invigilator.
- Please ensure that your child is at school on time for each session. There is nothing more nerve wrecking than to be late for the start of an exam session.
- A classroom will be made available where learners can study should they be in need of such a facility. Learners sign in and out in order for the school to control the attendance.
- Please make sure that your child follows a balanced and healthy diet, gets enough sleep, and, above all, studies effectively and hard enough! Please assist where you can and keep on motivating!
- AFRIKAANS STORY BOOKS
The Grade 10 learners – who belong to the ATKV youth branch – requests that, should you have any Afrikaans story books at home that are not in use anymore, you please send it to school with your child. They want to give these books to the old age homes. We will appreciate it if you can support this valuable project.
- CYCAD PROJECT
There was a request that the cycad project be lengthened. This is possible, therefore the delivery date changes to Thursday, 31 July 2014. The school will inform you about the delivery time and place.
- SCHOOLFEE PAYMENTS
The school is grateful that so many parents take the responsibility to pay the school fees monthly. Thank you to those parents who have made specific payment arrangements with the finance office already. The school urgently requests that those parents, who are experiencing financial difficulties, please contact the finance office without fail in order to make arrangements.
- ‘OPPI-VOETE’ PROJECT
A group of parents in town felt the need to address the teenage alcohol problem during Innibos from 02 July to 05 July. Not only do they want to address the problem, they also want to assist those teenagers and try to prevent this tendency.
The following arrangements will be put in place:
- A tent will be made available where teenagers can have some coffee and become sober again.
- Trained people will identify intoxicated teenagers on the terrain and will take them to the tent.
- Bikers for Christ and Gateway will give the teenagers the necessary support.
The following will be needed:
- Assistance from parents
- Accommodation for 10 youth workers
Sponsors will be needed for:
- Packets of soup powder and / or cup-a-soup
- Coffee, milk, sugar
- Rusks or alternatively ingredients such as eggs / butter / milk / cake flour.
Should you be interested to become involved, or to make a contribution, please contact Mrs. Marietjie de Jager at 074 776 0007
- ACHIEVEMENTS OF SPORT TEAMS
Congratulations to the following teams who have made it through to Mpumalanga semi-finals and finals:
- Netball: U/15 B netball plays in Standerton on Saturday
- Rugby: U/14, U/16 and 1st teams play in Middelburg on Saturday
- Hockey: U/16 girls and U/16 an U/14 boys will play during the coming week in different play offs
Should you go on holiday, we do hope that you will drive safely and that you will have an enjoyable and good rest. For those who have to stay at home, the peace not to run around after such a hectic term, will also be a relief.
Above all: enjoy your children, show them that you love them, that they are special to you and spend as much time as possible with them!
Warm Bergvlam greetings